Hands-On Help for Your Computer
Generally Scheduled at the June and December Meetings
Guidelines (Revised 11 / 2010)
- Please call the WAC AnswerLine (703-370-7649) and advise what kind of problem you'll be seeking help with. Also, please send email with that information to pc_clinic(at)wacug.org.
- Hours from 12:30 to 3:30 PM. Services are free, on a "users helping users" basis, and available only for user group members of WACUG and OPCUG. You may wish to express your appreciation with donations to the Pizza fund [geek / guru rocket fuel], donations to the clubs' door prize funds, or directly to the group treasury, or, in the event of OPCUG, to Friends of OLLI.
- WAC and other user group experts will help attendees resolve problems with their computer
systems. Software and hardware assistance will be available for Windows PC
- WAC & OPCUG disclaim all responsibility for any problems or data loss that
may arise resulting from hardware or software assistance rendered. WAC
recommends that a backup of all personal data files be performed prior to
bringing the system to the clinic, if possible. Repairs will not be
performed without the attendee's consent.
- Attendees seeking assistance must bring in all hardware, software, and
documentation necessary for proper diagnosis / repair or upgrade. Generally,
in cases involving the CPU and associated hardware / software, this will
entail bringing in the system unit, power cords, cables, software, upgrade hardware, and hardware/software
documentation. We have available flat panel monitors, keyboards, and mice. If you problem is related to your video display, you should bring your monitor and associated cables, so we may eliminate that as a source of the trouble.
- Attendees seeking Operating System installations should call the WAC AnswerLine
(703-370-7649) and reserve time in advance. All other assistance is on a
first-come, first-served time availability basis. Late arrivals will be
informed at the door whether sufficient time remains to assist them;
inquire at the clinic before bringing equipment into the building.
- WAC can non-destructively repartition hard drives on Windows
systems for installation of additional Operating Systems. Again, please call to arrange - these can be lengthy!
- Freely distributable GNU/Linux distributions will be
installed free of charge on systems having CD-ROM drives. Attendees who
want other Operating Systems installed must bring original copies of the
software on appropriate media with them.
- WAC will provide the necessary hardware and software tools for most
common repairs and upgrades. Please call the WAC AnswerLine
(703-370-7649) in advance if your system repair or upgrade will require
Home | About Us | Meetings | Membership | Links | Site Map
Address comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
last modified on 27 November 2010